About Us

A Brief History

Winona Cemetery Annual Newsletter

Photos

Email Us

 

 

Proposed Rules and Regulations

 

 

Winona Cemetery 

Established 1900

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gif


About Us

The families of those at Winona Cemetery strive to keep the cemetery maintained to the best of their ability. The costs associated with maintenance, water, insurance, and other miscellaneous improvements are about $6,000 per year.  The cemetery relies on donations, plot sales, and a sustained trust to pay the bills. As expenses continue to grow, it is more difficult to meet our obligations.

In order to meet our expenses, it is the charge of the Winona Cemetery Association over the next several years to increase the sustained trust fund by encouraging donations, increasing lot sales, and developing fund raising programs. We need your help to meet these goals. Please consider making a charitable contribution to the Winona Cemetery.

As the City of Tualatin continues to grow, Winona Cemetery will continue to hold a special place in the hearts of the citizens of Tualatin. Winona has become not only a cemetery but also a green space for the surrounding community.

There are over 1,000 grave sites still available here at Winona Cemetery. We are not just a pioneer cemetery. We are a cemetery for the future as well. We offer both burial and cremation plots.  The future will bring unknown issues to Winona Cemetery—both financial and organizational. Please consider donating your time to serve in annual spring clean-ups and future fund raising projects in order to help us grow with the community.

 

A Brief History

In June of 1900, the citizens of Tualatin formed the Winona Cemetery Association. They chose a 5-acre parcel west of the town. The land was originally part of the Isaac Ball donation land claim. The name Winona was chosen to honor a girl who had died. Although memorial stones indicate earlier graves, the first official burial was in August of 1900. Many of the older markers can be found along the southern edge of the cemetery. In 1918 the cemetery was officially dedicated and recorded in the county records. Old growth timber covered a portion of the land until the 1930’s when the lumber was harvested.

 

Winona Cemetery Annual Newsletter